Sunday, June 18, 2006

June 17th






Our day out on the water seemed to get better and better. We had a morning trip at Race Rocks with the tide pulling the water though the rocks thick and fast! Our afternoon trip found us with J-pod off the south end of San Juan Island. Saw Ruffles and Granny heading north, but then there was a turn SW as several individuals headed offshore. The evening trip found us in the company of the Westerdam cruise ship guests, we went to find J's in the same area off San Juan, and left them just north of Lime Kiln Park. Granny and Ruffles were in the lead. J14 was giving J40 a fishing lesson, Ruffles started a series of complex lunges after what must have been a tricky chinook salmon! We were motaring slowly out of the area, and a group of 7 orcas surfing around in the tide rip decided to come and say hi. Awestruck, dumbstruck, wierd squeely noises coming from my mouth. Incredible.. Speechless...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Claire! My husband and I were on this boat and we are still talking about the awesome experience of seeing so many whales so close up. I have told everyone I meet about it. You and the rest of the crew were fantastic. We met some people arriving in Victoria as we were leaving and they said they were doing your tour that evening. We, of course, bragged about what we saw. I don't know how they could have as great an experience as we did. Thanks again. Debby Mullins ( I had on a dorky Georgia bucket hat and my husband had on either an Alaska hat or a Braves hat)

Claire said...

Thanks Debby. Yeah, that was a truly magnificent trip. Jeff, Tove and myself had a wonderful time with you all as well. Definately a trip that will stay fresh in my memory. Thanks again. Claire.